I love how this turned out! Keep reading to find out how I turned two old head boards onto this beautiful bench!
I got this headboard for $8 at the thrift store and I loved the detail and unique bulkiness. When my friend posted on Facebook that they were having an auction for their adoption, I knew I wanted to make this for their great cause.
Like all used furniture, there may be cracks and blemishes, like I had here. I simply fixed it with wood glue, some screws, and patch 'n paint- my favorite wood filler.
I have to admit, I spent hours on this project. The first time around, I learned a lot of things. #1 the Kreg Jig rocks!!! It is the best and strongest pocket hole joining system I know of. I tried to use other screws that did not come with the jig, and it doesn't work!! You have to buy the authentic screws. Which you can buy at Home Depot. The Kreg Jig Jr., which is what I have, sells for around $40. It is well worth it.
The pocket holes it creates go right into the joining piece of wood, without having to pre-drill pilot holes! Always put some wood glue on before screwing the two pieces together.
Always use the level to make sure it is all square and even.
I used 2X4s because I had some lying around. Always turn the 2X4 to have the narrow side facing up. The strength doubles by 10 times!!
I painted the whole thing off white.
I then sanded the corners and other random places. You can see what a difference this makes!
On the right side, you can see that I put glaze on the right side. Ralph Lauren, Tobacco is the best color for off whites! It really gives the bench a beautiful "old" look.
I used a thick foam and cut it to fit the seat dimensions. I measured out how many buttons I wanted, and used the sharpie to mark it.
I used a knife to cut holes in the foam, and put the marker in the hole, and drew on the table top to mark where I needed to drill.
After I drilled the holes in the wood, I put a layer of batting on top of the foam and marked that as well.
I already had this cute fabric that I got for $4, but didn't have enough so I put a strip of off white down the middle.
I started tufting by cutting a small hole where I wanted and put a little hot glue around it to keep from fraying.
I came up with this idea of using nuts and bolts and washers to make the tuft. I love this because I can easily adjust the depth of each tuft.
I already had some covered buttons that I bought for $1 for 25 buttons. So I just recovered each one and hot glued it on. I used the cream trim because the lines between the white fabric and the floral was wavy because of the tufts.
An easy way to cover that 2X4 in the front was to wrap it with the left over fabric.
Almost done! I used a rub on polyurethane to seal it all up.
I was thrilled that it went for $200!! This was a fun bench to make for a great cause! And it only cost me $50. I can't wait to make another one. Each time I get faster!










5 comments:
Well done. That is my favorite fabric- getting ready to use it to upholster a storage bench cushion and maybe some curtains.
Super Chic! Very nicely done I love it:) Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com
Wow..that's amazing! I couldn't manage something like this in a million years but I love it!
I hope it's alright that I pinned one of your pics on my board.
http://pinterest.com/nurseryideas/beautiful-bedrooms/
Jan
Unique Baby Nursery Ideas and Gear
Love at first sight! I've seen a few headboards turned to benches but this is my favorite. I'm going to be keeping my eye out for a headboard at yard sales this spring. I'd love for you to share this at my link party on Tuesday.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com
Fabulous!
Post a Comment