Saturday, March 31, 2012

Stepping up to be a parent.

Since my last post I have really been focusing on being a mom first and foremost.  My kids were out of control and I was not in charge. This was because I was so immersed in my projects and hobbies.  I decided I didn't want it to be that way. I heard a quote that says,

This really hit home for me because I was trying to just squeeze in the time for it.  But, I am happy to announce that I have been focusing doing what God gave me time for: My Family.


The first thing I did was I organized Elijah's room and put back all of his educational toys,books, and games.  I set up the table and cork board to display their art work.  This is where we spend our learning and reading time.  I also brought up his toy chest from the basement and let him choose his favorites to play fill it with. Things were already starting to feel better.

Before I knew it, the kids were playing independently during the day because I was spending quality time with them reading, and coloring.  I have cut back on tv time to about 1 hour a day for each one, and they watch their own shows while the other is at school, or napping.  So they spend all their time together, playing.  It is so beautiful to watch them love each other and have fun together. 
We've been doing lots of crafts, and they acted like we were going to Disney Land when I pulled out the acrylic paints to paint these eggs. That's how little I did crafts with them!

 We took a trip to Antelope Island with their cousins and went to the old ranch.  They even got to see some real big Buffalo.
I try to take them to the Tree House Museum weekly. They love to ride these horses.  I am really trying to learn from my life cycles, and trying to strengthen this current goal I have to establish good routines, manners, fun, respect, love, and happiness by focusing on being there for my kids and family first.  I have found that I must put myself on a schedule with daily goals including washing my face! I can really get off coarse when I get into other hobbies which is why the quote above really hit me. It's a big struggle, but I can say that the kids are behaving better, and so am I.  I am striving to have more of a balance in my life and it feels right.  I only hope that I can strengthen this goal of mine, and not slip back into neglecting my family.  I think I have learned my lesson though by seeing the negative effects of being immersed in my hobbies, and anything else that takes away from the daily routine of creating a healthy, well balanced home life.   I can only try my best and pray for help! But I feel like I'm on the right track.


4 comments:

I hear you, Trisha! I'm on the "tail end" of raising my kids. 2 are already adults, 1 is coming close and my 4th is in 6th grade. BUT, oftentimes I let my hobbies take up the bulk of my time, and don't make time to focus on my kids (who all still need my care and attention). And my housekeeping has suffered for it as well.

Bless your efforts to put the focus back where the focus belongs!

Blessings,
Angie @ Knick of Time

Thanks Angie. I try to remember that a time will come when my kids are older and I will have time for all those big projects.

I've thought about you a lot in the last few weeks and wondered how life was treating you! Your kids are beautiful! And wow- one hour of TV per day is an awesome achievement! I often feel like my boys watch too much. I love the idea of a weekly outing- I know we all get a bit stir crazy around here! You are an inspiration to me- I sure hope things keep looking up for you! :)

your kids are the cutest and you're such a good mom!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...