In a way this almost pains me to write this race report because; I did not complete the 50 miles. Having said that, I still wanted to document this experience. The race was on March 24, 2012 at Antelope Island. I first thought I would train for this about 5 months ago but decided the training schedule I wanted to follow was too time consuming. About a month ago my dad said he would be running this race at a 14 min mile average pace and I thought " I could do that"! The problem was- the race was only a month away. But my dad assured me my "young" body would be able to do it just fine. I started training that week and ran about 30 miles that week. The next weekend I ran my own marathon and maintained a 12:15 min mile pace. I felt great at the end.
The weekend after that I ran the 16 mile loop on the race course and felt good about that. The next weekend I did the same thing and felt even better. So with only about 3 solid weeks of training, I thought I might be able to finish the 50 miles. Its a good thing I was a little naive because nerves would not have helped.
On the morning of the race I was feeling pretty good and calm. I had gotten a decent nights sleep and was ready to see what lie ahead of me. We started off at 6am and my dad and I kept a good slow and steady pace of 13 min mile as we ascended up the hill. It was a beautiful, clear day and the mountain views were breathtaking. It was so fun, that first part of the day. After about 15 miles, we headed down the mountain and passed the 25k and 50k runners who had started their race at 8 am. They were all passing us saying "great job, "looking good"! I cranked up my music and was feeling pretty good.
I stopped to use the facility at an aid station quickly but I was a little stopped up; not good. We kept going to the next aid station, got some oranges and such there, and went out to do a little 1 mile arm. We came back and I filled up my new Nathan running water pack, which I loved. It was 6 miles to the next aid station. It was pretty hot by this point and I started to feel a little uncomfortable with my inability to relieve myself. I pressed forward to the next aid station and was feeling more and more uncomfortable. A few miles later, I was finally able to relieve myself and was feeling a little better. My stomach was starting to feel very upset, and tight. I was able to go again and felt a little better, but still my stomach was uncomfortable. My legs seemed to be holding up fine. I was trying to drink lots of water, and took electrolyte tablets.
I got to the aid station at mile 33 and was feeling very tired, but still confident that I would finish. I refueled and we were on our way in 2 minutes. I was hanging in there, still with a very upset stomach, but going forward fine. 5.5 miles from the last aid station, I was feeling a bit light headed. They poured some cold water on my head and I was on my way again. By this time I was giving it all I had to stay calm and defer my abdominal discomfort so that I could focus on finishing. I really thought I could trudge through to the end till I felt very faint. I didn't want to fall over or pass out- I'm not that hard core! I yelled to my dad that I had to sit. I felt so dizzy and like my body was completely revolting against me. I was in so much pain and discomfort. I immediately began sobbing because for the first time, I didn't think I was going to be able to finish. I was devastated. I thought of how I could get up and try to keep going, but I let my body win and stayed down because frankly, I was in so much pain and did not want to experience any more! This was at mile 40.75. The time was around 10.5 hours I believe.
Luckily, one of the racers I had recently passed had his girlfriend running with him for the last part of the race and she sat down to help me. She insisted to stay and help me and assured me her boyfriend would be fine. My dad ran ahead to tell the next aid station that I would need a ride to the aid stain medic tent. She was actually studying to be a nurse or something in the medical field (I really can't remember much during this time), so I was so grateful she was there. She helped to calm me down and told me I would be OK. My body was shaking violently and I had never felt like this before. I knew that I would be OK, but it still scared me. We sat there for about 30 min and decided she had better try to flag down a passing car on the road close to the trail to take me back. She got some men to come down and help me to the car. Once inside, I felt even worse and threw up into a plastic bag (luckily)! It was all just water, and I did feel some relief after that.
We got the the tent just as I thought I couldn't stand the pain and suspense of getting there any longer. As we pulled in, Travis and the kids were walking to the finish. My friend aka "personal race angel" ran to get my family. I laid down on the cot and the nurse took my vitals. I was fine they assured me. I wouldn't need an IV. That was good news, but I still needed reassurance that I would get feeling better, because it was not happening fast! I was very very cold and still shaking. My body was still freaking out. I was still sad I didn't finish, but I was glad I was where I was. I laid there for almost an hour and an half before I got up and got int he car to go home! Travis was an absolute sweetheart the whole time. He held my hand and told me I was going to be fine. It was much worse than child birth, and I'm not kidding!
Slowly, I was able to talk at a normal rate, and feel like my body was settling down. That night I was pretty sore, and I had a couple blisters, and a big sun burn on my legs and neck. I soaked in the bath and just moved very slowly for the next couple days. I felt a little winded and just worn out. I was disappointed. I tried not to be, but I was. The next day I went to sacrament meeting, well just the sacrament and then left. I got some rest then I went back to direct choir practice and then back home again to rest. I still was so stiff and just so darn disappointed. I have been thinking all week about what I have learned from this:
The first feeling after disappointment, that I felt that day while laying on that cot, in the tent; was guilt. I felt guilty for spending so much time, and money, on this hobby. I had been neglecting my kids and just resenting them in some ways. I had been trying to work my way back to putting them first before my race, but I still felt a little guilty for the time I had spent ignoring my kids for my hobbies. After I worked away from feeling guilty, I felt that the reason I did not finish the 50 miles was because I had not trained enough. I really needed to have been training the last 4 months, 30-40 miles a week at least. After coming to this conclusion, I decided that I do not have that much time in my life right now. I felt a little better about not completing the 50 miles. After all, it was 40 miles I ran!
I tend to go for a goal, and get lost in trying to complete it as my only goal in life. This is not good for balance in life. My kids are so young at only 2 and 4 years, and I realized by my own finding and conclusion, that I do not have time for such adventures. But since I went for it, now I know that to complete this goal, I need to invest a lot more time that I do not have right now in my life. Some day in the future, when my kids are older, I can go for it again. But for now, I know that I want to spend my time strengthening my family goals. Of coarse I will still run and do a small project here and there, but I have discovered on my own that my time and energy needs to be spent for my family. I would forever regret it it if all I had to show for in the next 10 years was race medals, and some old re-made furniture. I have many interests and hobbies, but I think I have learned to balance my life better. I am glad I attempted the 50 miles. I now don't have that itch to run 50 miles any time soon. And I won't be regretting not training for one either. I am proud of my accomplishments, but will be most proud of a having a happy and unified family. I have a lot of work to do in this area and now that my focus is on my family first, I feel that it is right.
Last years buffalo run- 50k with my dad.
I still love running and will be running around in the mountains east of my house where I grew up running. I am grateful to have a healthy body that can do amazing things! I thank all of you that helped me feel good about what I did accomplish. So the goal of completing a 50 mile race will just have to wait for a few years! And that is just fine with me now!






3 comments:
Trisha, you are amazing. This post was so honest. I loved your conclusions and your priorities.
i'm so glad you posted this trish! it's good to see that you learned so much and recognize what a great accomplishment your race truly was. you really are amazing!
Were we twins in another life? Love the insight into your race and your life. I think you are right about it all. Going for it wasn't a mistake and neither was not finishing. Honoring your body and ultimatly honoring your motherhood and letting that be enough for now is awesome. Not easy, but awesome :-) Love ya Trisha! You are amazing.
Post a Comment