The magic of Sun Valley is almost here!!! I have been practicing with my friends to carol around the quaint, charming, and breathtaking sites of this little town in Idaho. Although small, it has quite a reputation for fun and excitement. Let me take you through a tour of some of my most cherished memories that I get to participate in again this year!!!
This is the reason I go, and the perks come along with it. I was in a singing group at Utah State University called the Sunburst Singers. Every year we got to carol in Sun Valley Idaho as part of the ambiance that the village strives to have at Christmastime. We sing a Capella, and with hand bells. We sing around 25 different songs arranged by Derek, our director.
Here is a video of last year's group. (which I was not in, but I know most all of them).
Hopefully, you can imagine how wonderful this must be in person, to have live dickens carolers in the middle of your already perfect winter wonderland Christmas vacation!
In college, I saw TONS of celebrities. Oh yes, Sun Valley is home to many many stars! Arnold here, even has his own run!
Here is Tom Hanks and his kids. We were singing at the Trail Creek Cabin restaurant one night and Tom, along with his wife, Rita Wilson and friends, Martin Short, and some famous tennis player whose name I can't remember were there. They were having fun pretending they were ice skaters, skating to our music, and gave us a very large tip!! Among others I have seen are Meg Ryan, Bruce Willis, Jamie Lee Curtis, Steve Miller...and lots more.
I should mention that Sun Valley was started and owned by Earl Holding, a very sweet, (and RICH) man. Here I am with his wife in their home in Sun Valley. He also owns Snow Basin in Utah, Sinclair Oil, and has built many large and beautiful Hotels such as the Grand America hotels.
There are tons of fun things to do in Sun Valley, as you may see here...Snowboarding, skiing, ice skating, working out! Yes, that is me in my caroling costume, boarding down the mountain!!! We thought we were cool! We got our picture on the top of the mountain and some of us skid down!
Sun valley has some vintage history. I love these vintage post cards. A movie was made in the 40's with Sonya Henie and John Payne. She was a famous ice skater, and he a singer/actor. The Glenn Miller band was also in it and it was filmed in Sun Valley, mostly in the Sun Valley Inn, where we stay.
We don't get paid, but we are more than compensated with Sun Valley's many amenities. Here, you see the awesome outdoor pool that is outside our hotel. We get all the skiing, ice skating, and food that we need! Plus the most wonderful, magical Christmas experience ever.
This is the Sun Room inside the Lodge Hotel. Basically everything in Sun Valley village looks like this..Beautiful and expensive. I get to walk around pretending I fit in with the regular crowd! But the best part about it is being with my family (my kids and husband) and my other family-the carolers.
I LOVE these people. Granted we rotate in and out some years due to scheduling. But we seriously love each other. We are all life long friends sharing our love of music and life together.
We are so excited, our little 4 year old will be doing this, this year!!! Travis is excited about that!
Did I mention the horse drawn sleigh to the rustic Trail Creek restaurant? Or the life sized snow and ice sculptures?
Every Christmas Eve, there is a large ice show with a guest skater, or performer. We also get to sing. After the show, is the torch light parade on Baldy mountain. All the ski instructors ski down the hill holding torches that light up the mountain. Then there are fireworks. It really is spectacular.
Seattle Ridge.
After being in rehearsal these last few days, I just feel so grateful to be in this group this year. The whole experience is amazing. I am so glad I get to share in it with my family this year.
So, have I convinced you that Sun Valley is the greatest Christmas experience ever? Yours is probably where your family is, which is how it should be. I am just so lucky I get to share my love of music and friends, and Sun Valley with the husband and children. To hear clips of our new CD go here. You can get one for a good deal! Happy Holidays!!!
Hi, I’m Trisha and welcome to Re-made just right! The place that celebrates the way something is re-made; (whether its a project, or a new chapter in your life story); is JUST RIGHT! I love to re-make old furniture into something new and I’m finding other ways to re-create and enrich my own life through my journey of blogging. I have two charming children, ages 2 and 4, and one amazing husband. I love life and I am trying harder every day to enjoy every minute of it. I hope you’ll stick around to be INSPIRED, UPLIFTED, and hopefully concur with me, that just the way YOU are- is JUST RIGHT!
1 comments:
oh i'm so jealous- i SO wish i could be there to see you perform! i can't wait to hear all about it and see all the pictures! Have fun!
Post a Comment