Saturday, January 28, 2012

Through the Eyes of a Musical

Whether you say you like musicals or not, you have to admit that in many musicals such as Hairspray, there is just a happy feeling involved.  I have been choreographing the Dinner Theater show at my old High School. (I performed in the show choir and theatrical productions there) and I am LOVING it.  First of all, its my Alma Mater. Second there are 10 FUN, and high energy numbers that I get to choreograph, and third the kids are talented and really great, respectful kids.  So I always listen to the song's back track over and over to get a feel for it and start my imaginative, creative process. It was crunch time for my next song to teach: "This will be an Everlasting Love", so decided to put in my ear buds while I ran to the grocery store.  So as I was walking into Wal-Mart, I was literally seeing the world around me happen to the wonderful 60's, upbeat tune of the song. The song is so happy, and  it seemed to make ME more happy, and even THOSE I SAW happier! That's when I decided that sometimes -not all the time -life viewed through the eyes a movie musical can be magical and uplifting. 

This is the choir room at Northridge High School.  I practically lived here for 3 years during my high school.  A lot of good memories there.  I made a lot of dear friends through the opportunity of choir, and I am still friends (or facebook friends) with most of them.  I love music and dance. They both can INSPIRE, make you FEEL something, and make life more full.

Last week I blogged about Eli earning his Bey Blade for filling up his sticker chart. He made that goal and dad and Eli went to the store to buy his $9.00 (and tiny) Bey Blade, from the TV series that he randomly came across on Netflix, that is apparently quite popular.  I thought it was just some random, weird Japanese animation show.  My friend watches Kate and Eli while I am choreographing at the high school. Eli was so excited to "battle with the blades" with her kids.  They have an actual arena where they battle. If you are not familiar with Bey Blades, I'm sure you are saying "what the heck are those?!" Well, they are actually Tops with metal frames that start on a sort of base.  It has a rip chord that you pull, but before doing so you must say "3-2-1- LET IT RIP!!!!! The top goes spinning down, and they bump into each other and the kids have a blast.

I took this picture today of my baby girl's feet.  She has beautiful arches that will serve her well in dance; that is of course if she wants to. BUT... SHE WILL! I have high arches, and I got that from my dad.  By the time she is ready for dance, I can go back to teaching at the  ballet school I grew up taking at. I love ballet.  It is so beautiful, and graceful, and poetic.  I have always loved it.

I used to work in Hospice as a Music Therapist (I have my B.S. in Music Therapy; yes it is an actual degree/profession!) If you want to learn about it, click here. I love, love, and adore "old people".  I have always felt more comfortable talking to people older than me.  I truly adore and respect my elders because I believe they have so much WISDOM.  They have lived longer than me, and I want to learn from them.  I seek to be wise, and hope that I can have it someday.  I think I am starting to develop some words of wisdom, and I try to learn from every experience in my life.  Many of my patients lived at Assisted Living, and we went to one the other night for a family member's 85th birthday.  Kate pointed to this man and said "who's that?" I said, "I don't know, lets go see".  We talked and found out his name was Golden Bingham, born in Riverdale, and raised his family in West Point.  After chatting for awhile we said goodbye, ans went back to the party, talking to family.  My mother in law told me to look, and I saw these two... just like this.  Kate was just hanging out by is side. He wasn't really saying much, but just patting her back and stoking her hair.  It was priceless.  I could see the unconditional, and non judgmental love that was being shared. A little 2 year old, and a person in their 80's just having a moment of love.  She stayed there for several minutes, then she just wandered away and he went back to his "I'm sleeping in this chair in the foyer" look.  I love "old people". Most of them, cause some can be just rude!! But this tender experience just reaffirmed my deep believe that all of us are special and worthy to love and be loved.  Unconditionally. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...