Sunday, October 16, 2011

Shutter re-make

I had two projects going this week. One was my idea to use some bi-fold shutter doors and make them into outdoor shutters for my house.  Here was the shutter before I started:

I had to cut them in half to get the length of my windows.


I made one and painted it to make sure it would work and look good. After I decided it would, I cut the rest of the three shutters and trim  all at once.


Next I glued the bottom pieces of crown.


Then I drilled a pilot hole after I centered it.


Then I screwed it in the center and two on each end and sinked the screw so I could putty it.


Next I attached the other three sides of molding.


I puttied the holes and sanded them down. Then I used my spray gun to put on a base coat of brown.


Then I used a paint brush to paint on black glaze I wiped it off with baby wipes where I wanted the brown to show through. 

I added a metal decorative piece to give it a nice finished look.



I still have to paint the three other shutters and hang them.  I will post the final project on the front of my house!  I am so excited!


I added the dowel in the center and the wood in the middle to look more authentic.


I also installed them at an angle to look more real.  I read a website about how to properly hang shutters. These particular shutters are called louver shutters. The ones that have slats.



And here they are on my house!  I love how much they add to it.


Without shutters.

With the new shutters!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...