Friday, November 18, 2011

Bright Turqoise Toddler Bench

This adorable toddler bench is my new favorite re-make.  This was made for Kelli of Utah Photographic Memories  to use in her kid shoots.  Check out her awesome photography! Almost every time I create a new bench, it becomes my favorite.  Stick around to see the transformation!
As always, I start out with a headboard and or foot board.  In this case I just used the foot board.   Below are two legs I cut off from a table I had in my shed. 

The next step is to frame it all together using my joining system, the Kreg Jig. This is the hardest part to get it all lined up and even.

I put a particle board top on it and used some old trim my friend gave me. I wanted it tufted so I thought of my own way to make that happen.
I always just dive into a project, not really knowing how I am going to do it.  So I marked where I wanted a tuft and button and used my kitchen knife to make the hole in the thick foam.

Next, I shoved in a sharpie to mark the bench, and drilled holes to make the tuft.  Since this was a custom re-make, Kelli got to pick out of the fabric I got in Dallas at the fabric outlet stores. 

As you can see, she has a lot of gorgeous and fun fabrics to choose from!  She chose this first turquoise one.
To go with the bright fabric, we chose this bright paint make it a perfect, bright  photo shooting bench!

I picked up a set of 5 button covers from Hobby Lobby and covered them all to attach to the top of the tufted areas.


After the painting was done, it was time to make the tufts.  This part is exciting because you really get to see the transformation take place.

After trying to use string, then wire, I settled on a nut and screw.  This was the best option because it won't move and I have control over how much of a tuft I want.

I tufted one at a time, starting from the end. 

After all the tufting was done, I pulled it tight all around and stapled the fabric to edge of the particle board I used for the bench top.  Then, I ripped the fabric in 3 strips and braided it to make a raw looking trim to cover the staples.  I used my glue gun to attach it.

Kelli wanted a rougher look, which I love, so I sanded the edges and brushed on a little tobacco color glaze.

Here you can see the deep tufts.  I just love using bright colors!  I am so excited to make more for people and use my new fabric. 

So here, you mostly see the toddler (My adorable and drooly toddler), but behind her is an almost-as-cute bench! Happy picture taking Kelli!

7 comments:

I love it Trisha! I can't wait to start taking pictures with it! You are so talented!

I love the way it turned out! The braided edge is a brilliant touch!

This bench rocks...I love the detail of the covered buttons and the braid on the side. This is an awesome piece that would look great anywhere!!

Very cute! Stopping by from the boerman ramblins link up~

Totally incredible! Turquoise - yes please! Just found your blog and I'm loving your makeovers. I'd love for you to share this (and any other posts that qualify) over at our Trash 2 Treasure Party! http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/2012/02/trash-2-treasure-tuesday-18.html

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...